Monday, August 27, 2007

Why Do We Need Good Grammar?

For my 100th post, I thought I'd put up a few links to others who defend the necessity of grammar. My short version goes like this, “You don't need perfect grammar to communicate. You do need it to communicate well. Excellent grammar allows people to find nuances in the language that escapes those who cannot construct a technically complex sentence correctly.”

For more detailed information, see:
Richard Mitchell's Why Good Grammar?
Eve Carmichael's cringe-inducing example
The National Council of Teachers of English's Grammar Page
This press release from the National Commission on Writing
An editorial on Whiskey Creek Document Design's site entitled, “Ahhh, But You CAN Teach Grammar!” and
Mr. Bauld's Sense and Nonsense about Grammar.

Some of these are very long and impassioned, but that's how I feel about language – passionate. People can learn to explain their beliefs and feelings to each other in great detail. Written communication can be clear and concise. And I can stop pounding on the table and saying, "That's right!" between sentences. Have a happy Monday, please, while I go calm down.


0 comments: