Saturday, September 22, 2007

Verbs Gone Soft: Nominalization

Raymond Ward at Minor Wisdom had this interesting post (and a few more interesting comments) regarding -tion words and their use. While I think the post over-simplifies the -tion suffix, I do think he has a valid point.

I followed up with some research on nominalization and the passive voice. You know that I've declared war on that bugger in my own writing. Thus, I seek ways to simplify finding and eliminating it.

In today's search, I came across a few sites that offer excellent advice and/or examples. DG Jerz at Seton Hill University offers a useful page that demonstrates that -tion is not the only bad guy. Two sets of revised nominalizations offer concrete options.

Now I am considering that last sentence and wondering about “options”. Should I change, “offer concrete options” to, “...help you opt for concrete...”? That just adds words and clouds the point. Not all -tion words drag you down. As in so many things, following the rules carries you only so far. After that you need a little talent.

I ran across something related but more extensive today, as well. Daniel Kies has the text book for his Composition course at the College of DuPage. This starting page links to a good web of clear information about sentences and writing well worth exploring.

Check my tag cloud on the left for other posts on eliminating the passive voice and other ways to improve your writing.


1 comments:








Anonymous

said...

Yep, I will plead guilty to over-simplifying. We all learn as we roll along.